Tuesday, March 1, 2011

In respond to: Is it good to work in Singapore?

Recently there been a lot of circulation of this article around facebook and few of mt friends had ask me my view regarding what had be said in the article.

First of all, in my opinion the guy who wrote that article is very grey. Everything to him is good but yet bad is more than the good stuff and I personally don't like things to be one sided. If reviewing somethings, it should stick to neutral as much as possible.

Before any one who decide to come to Singapore, they must have a purpose in mind, might it be study, work, or education purpose. You must know what you looking for and be ready to give and take. In my case, I decide to come to Singapore to pursuit my education 6 years ago which is 2006 and the education part is the point that I want to review in it.

I always knew that I am not the brightest student in class so don't mention about the whole school or even the nation. I had a not so good, not so bad result for my SPM and I knew I wouldn't survive the STPM if i continue studying it. It was out of a blue that one my my friend suggested me  that I should apply for polytechnic and it was then my life at Singapore begins.

For all these years in Singapore, it show me one things which is if you fight for your future, the chances are always there! You might said you blew your youth for not having a good grade in what ever level. The education system here already provide you with the back up plan. People who didn't do well in O level can always go for polytechnic even if polytechnic failed to give you a seat, there is still ITE. (More on those you should click on the links.)

When I came to Singapore, I don't have much money to spare and I spend most of my time in a wall of four. I do agree that living expenses in Singapore is high but only if you are spending Ringgit! A meal in Singapore campus or hawker center hardly cost you more then 5 dollars and drinks included. In Malaysia, a bow of Chicken rice at KL I believe more then 3 ringgit and a coke also cost you at least 1 ringgit 50 cents. Which without conversion they are on PAR! So basically just don't compare price with conversion, if you end up in Australia you are not be able to settle a meal outside with anything less then 10 AUD.

After 3 years, I finally get my certs and luckily I did it decently well and awarded with a Merit. So what does this be able to bring me? With a Merit Cert, it actually allows me to apply for any of the courses open up for application in Singapore Universities! But good things came with a price, if you are doing the same subject you took in your Poly, you are able to get exemption for certain module and shorter period to complete the degree.

I always had this question asked by my friends. "How long do you need to complete your degree after 3 years in polytechnic?" I told them another 3 years ahead! They always gave me the same respond. "What so long? Another 3 years?" I answered:"Yes but is short, you already did 2 years STPM and your degree need additional 4 years, so you just have to do the math is the same total of 6 years to complete an undergrad degree." Another good news is that, if after your diploma you join the work force for at least two years, you can apply for another course exemption in the Industrial Attachment Program which is a 6 months course, did a few subject in advance by overloading, wahla~~ you can actually finish it in 2 years! Of course by that path you need to work harder than most of your friend!

Next, you might be wondering about the price of studying in Singapore, is must be a lot! Yes you are totally correct and wrong at the same time! Singapore have a very good system in keeping their money flow in the correct path. Look at the table below:


You must be thinking that 26000 SGD / Year must be mad and how would you be so easily be given subsidized! But the real fact is everyone can get the subsidised tuition fees from Singapore Gov. with only one condition which is after graduate you will need to work inside Singapore for at least 3 years to finish the bond! So that's a great deal isn't? So how to get? Just apply here. Or you can actually don't even bother about it, because it will come to you automatically and you would need to prepare 2 sureties which can just be you parents or any PR in Singapore!

The next question would be how do I pay the 12000 SGD/year? That's another simple question to answer. You would need to apply for loan from the local bank. In NTU it should be OCBC bank and it will provide up to 100% of the tuition fees. So what's the down side of this great deal? You would need to have a Singaporean or PRs as a surety and the interest rate per annual is 4.75%. But that shouldn't set you back if you know what you really want!

Last you would be wondering how about my daily living expenses and the rest of 20%? Yes is another great one, just approach Student union. I have no idea how it works out, but it should be 80% correct from here which they can loan you some living expenses. I love this phrase the most:" There's a WILL, there's a WAY!"

Base on the above, you can always think about the study opportunity provided in other countries.

That's my insight about studying in Singapore and you can always choose to agree to disagreement!
Comments box below and always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment